We are a green church!
We want to save the Earth as much as anyone else. After all, God created our Earth, we live on it, we use its materials and we want our children’s children’s children to enjoy our Earth. If you and your family want to participate in keeping our Earth clean, below are several areas where you can “pitch” in at Church of the Apostles.
- Compost Wagon: Place items that will decompose in the Compost Wagon in the parking lot. The Wagon is located near the fence for the tiller near the West Wing. Processed composting material will be used to enrich the soil of the Seeds of Hope Garden.
- Aluminum Cans: A collection receptacle is located near the lower door to the Youth Center. Monies generated from the sale of these cans is used for many projects around the church, e.g., fountain in Rader Park.
- Soda Tabs: Tabs are collected and recycled and then donated to the Ronald McDonald House and the Hoffman Home. The tabs can also be removed from cans and placed in the tab bin located in the Coat Room near the Wishing Well.
- There are two dumpsters near the kitchen entrance clearly marked for trash or recycled materials. (These are for church-generated trash only.)
- In an effort to save energy, the light bulbs are gradually being replaced with cost effective bulbs.
- Paper in our offices is recycled. Recycling bins are placed in the office and near the copier in Room 304. Blue recycling bins used for glass and cans can be found near the Fellowship table in the Narthex. Another location is in the West Wing near the soda machine.
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Ministry: Volunteers at our first of the month breakfast at First Reformed in Lancaster conscientiously separate and gather cardboard, styrofoam, and plastic to be recycled. Discarded food is saved to feed to animals and coffee grounds and egg shells are saved and brought to our Compost Wagon.
Family opportunities to recycle:
Drop Off for the items listed below can be found in the Coat Room near the Wishing Well:
- Clothing collected for the Clothing Bank.
- Blankets, quilts and sheets will be sent to the SPCA.
- Used postage stamps can be dropped off in the Office to be used for Wounded Veterans.
- Box tops are collected for materials used in the Apostles Preschool.
- Pre-packaged food items can be placed in the receptacle near our Food Bank in the West Wing.
Make it a habit at home to help our Earth:
- Turn off lights and appliances when you leave a room.
- Replace bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs.
- Turn down the heat.
- Use less water when bathing, washing and brushing teeth.
- Use paper, not plastic, for picnics and parties.
- Recycle paper; use newspaper instead of weed spray.
- Recycle grass clippings in flowerbeds.
- Pick up trash in your yard and others to make America beautiful!
Any time you take the time to recycle, you are helping to keep Mother Earth healthy. Are you ready to do your part?