Outreach is a huge part of the ministry and life of Church of the Apostles. We as a congregation feel that giving to others is a blessing and we are known to give generously. One of the ways that we do this is through our Wishing Well. The Wishing Well is a place in our church where donations are collected for various outreach missions. The Wishing Well is under the umbrella of the Outreach commission and is a wonderful way to help those in need. It is usually used for donations to local missions and agencies; however, it is also used to help a wider global mission such as victims of natural disasters. When a Wishing Well project is chosen, the recipients of the project are contacted, and a wish list of needed items is requested. Then the project is advertised in the monthly Crown newsletter, the weekly Sunday bulletins, display posters that are always visible above the Wishing Well, on the Outreach bulletin board in the Narthex, and on the website. Items needed for the project are collected in the Wishing Well until they are distributed to the recipients. The Wishing Well is located in the large area to the right of the church office next to the coat racks.
In the past, the Wishing Well projects have generously helped others in the following ways:
- school supplies for the children in Joplin, MO
- school supplies for the children in local schools through the Clare House
- hygiene kits for victims of recent hurricanes
- special Halloween treats for the residents of Brereton Manor nursing facility
- needed supplies for the residents of Clare House
- needed supplies for the residents of Milagro House
- needed supplies for Mom’s House
- baby supplies for the Storks’ Nest at LGH
- holiday gifts for the children in Head Start
- supplies for our own Seeds of Hope Garden
- needed supplies for the Humane League
- supplies for the Apostles Assistance Fund
- backpacks filled with school supplies for the children in Honduras
- needed supplies for TLC (Transitional Living Center) located on East King Street in Lancaster
- children’s pajamas to support Conner’s Comfy PJ’s, which is a collection of pajamas for children undergoing cancer treatments in hospital units
- supporting the annual Day of Smiles by collecting supplies needed for Milagro House, Clare House, Brereton Manor, Mom’s House, and the Pet Pantry
- sending Valentine’s Day treats to young men and women in college or the military
- collecting and donating coats, bed linens, towels, etc. for the Lancaster Council Council of Churches
Our current project:
Our Holiday Ministry of gifting Martin Elementary School students this holiday. Please consider helping to make a youngster’s holiday brighter by gifting him or her this season. There are gift tags hanging on the Outreach bulletin board in the Narthex. Please take a gift tag from the poster and return the wrapped gift with that gift tag attached. Each tag has the child’s name, age, grade, and gift suggestion. The gift suggestion can be taken off since it is on a sticky note. There is also a number on the sticky note. Please sign your name next to that number on the paper beside the poster. Please place these gifts under the tree in the Narthex no later than December 17th. The gifts will be delivered on the 18th. We will also be collecting new hats, gloves, mittens, and scarves for the students in the School District of Lancaster who have been displaced due to the hurricanes. These students will definitely need our help to stay warm this winter. Thank you so much for always supporting our Wishing Well outreach ministries. They are such an important part of our mission and so needed in our community. Happy Holidays!
The contact person for the Wishing Well is Jane McCartney, and she can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (717) 392-5718. It is always a gift to be able to help others.